A new survey by the independent platform, South African Market Insights (SAMI), found large differences in braai meat prices across South Africa.
The study used data supplied by Statistics South Africa and compared the average price per kilogram per province of some of South Africa’s favourite meats to braai including rump, pork chops, chicken, boerewors and lamb chops.
The price per kilogram of different meats across SA’s provinces
Average Price per Kilogram per Province
|Lamb Chops (R)||Rump (R)||Chicken (R)||Boerewors (R)||Pork Chops (R)|
Average prices in South Africa
- Lamb chops are the most expensive braai meat in the survey, with an average of R159.40 for a kilogram of lamb chops across South Africa.
- The average price in South Africa for a kilogram of rump was R128.06.
- The average price of a kilogram of chicken is roughly 3.5 times less than that of lamb chops, with an average cost of R47.19 per kilogram across South Africa.
- Boerewors is the second cheapest meat type of the survey, with an average price of R59.25.
- Pork, has gained popularity due to its affordability, with an average cost of R79 per kilogram across South Africa.
Read more on Business Insider South Africa